[e-lang] Joe-E Doc

Adrian Mettler amettler at cs.berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 11 23:06:17 EDT 2008

Not exactly.  But it does mean that any optimizations that the compiler
does that use StringBuffer (or StringBuilder now that it exists) won't
be subject to the taming decisions.  As I read it, the optimizations
that the compiler is allowed to perform shouldn't change the semantics
of a program anyway, absent deep instrumentation that can, say, count
the number of invocations of the String constructor.  So at least these
specific uses of StringBuffer/Builder should really be safe.  We aren't
concerned about corner cases regarding resource exhaustion, for example,
in the Joe-E context.)  Unlike implicit calls to toString methods, etc.,
there isn't a need to change the verifier for this, as long as we are
willing to commit to whether or not these calls are safe.  If this isn't
documented somewhere (like in the spec), however, it should be.  If not,
it's a documentation bug.  (

The reason why StringBuffer has everything disabled at the moment is
because I haven't tamed it yet.
-Adrian