[e-lang] Joe-E 2.0 Release

Adrian Mettler amettler at cs.berkeley.edu
Wed Mar 12 17:07:39 EDT 2008

I may have been unclear.  The plan would be to keep the UI widget, but
to remove the existing mechanism for storing the enabled/disabled state.
The toggle would just be a way to indicate the presence of the flag in
the package-info.java file, which would be the authoritative
specification consulted by the verifier.  It would also toggle the flag
in the file (potentially creating the file if it doesn't already exist),
but only if clicked on.  My hope is to use an Eclipse JDT API for
adding/removing the annotation rather than hacking on the file directly,
  which should be more likely to do the right thing.

In terms of a name for the annotation, how about something like
org.joe_e.IsJoeE? (or isJoeE -- I've noticed that you prefer to have
lowercase annotations, but Sun uses the same casing convention as
classes; does anyone know which convention is more common?)
Alternately, one could use something more general like
org.joe_e.safe/Safe, which would be consistent with use on trusted
library code that isn't actually Joe-E (such as the Joe-E library, or
non-verified components of Waterken).  This would have the advantage of
decreasing the size of the taming database and reducing somewhat the
need to use a non-canonical taming db.

-Adrian