[e-lang] An attack on a mint

Karp, Alan H alan.karp at hp.com
Thu Mar 13 13:04:05 EDT 2008

Bill Frantz wrote:

> How much does this increase the memory footprint of the object
> code?

and

> (A wag might say that Java is so bloated you won't even notice.)

Wag, wag.

My test code for a class is about the same size as the code for the class for both Python and Java.  I've never seen a case where that factor of two was critical, but I haven't written code to be dynamically downloaded.  On the plus side, it's really convenient to see what's been tested when you think you've got a bug, and it's real easy to add a new test when you find one.

Alan Karp
Principal Scientist
Virus Safe Computing Initiative
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories