[e-lang] help!

Kevin Reid kpreid at mac.com
Sun Mar 23 08:38:05 EDT 2008

On Mar 23, 2008, at 7:05, John Carlson wrote:

> Okay,  I have looked at the capdesk and darpabrowser videos and would
> like to try them on my desktop.  I have MacOSX Leopard.
>
> I haven't tried macifying them, since macifying doesn't seem to do
> anything.

Yes, the macify-swt.e script should only be used on SWT programs (for
now).

> I tried to run
>
> ../rune capDesk.e-awt

Is this an 'installed' E, or are you trying to run out of built source?

> When I click on a txt file, I get
>
> Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0"
> org.erights.e.develop.exception.NestedException: .
> <
> listPaneListener>.mouseClicked(java.awt.event.MouseEvent
> [MOUSE_CLICKED,
> (53,38 ...

AWT's thread catcher won't walk the E stack trace, so this info is
mostly useless. What needs to be done is to find the relevant E
object (possibly "listPaneListener") which is invoked directly from
AWT, and add something to report the exception E-style. For example,
try {
   ...existing code...
} catch p {
   throw <- (p)
}
will get it into the tracelog. Or, deferring the entire logic to a
proper turn, but that can have semantic differences (not
synchronously reacting to AWT's event)
fn {
   ...existing code...
} <- ()

> Perhaps I am missing reading some documentation?  Do you expect
> normal users to be savvy enough to run this stuff?

CapDesk should just work. The only thing that I recall finding
unobvious when I first tried it is that you have to right-click to do
some file operations.