[e-lang] Bug in Guard-based Auditor design

Mark Miller erights at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 11:55:57 EDT 2008

E-lang'ers, I'm posting this message now despite lack of context. It
relates to the guard-based-auditing design that Kevin, Dean, and I
have been discussing, and which Kevin is writing up at
<http://wiki.erights.org/wiki/Guard-based_auditing>. Hopefully, enough
context will appear soon for this to start to make sense.

I don't think it works to have

   def foo extends bar { ...

expand to

   { def &&super := &&bar
      def foo { ...

since it changes the value-level meaning too much. Currently, if bar
is a var and is reassigned after super is initialized, super is
unaffected. With this translation change, super will track the
reassignment of bar. This is too surprising.