[e-lang] help!

John Carlson john.carlson3 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 23 20:14:43 EDT 2008

On Mar 23, 2008, at 5:38 AM, Kevin Reid wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2008, at 7:05, John Carlson wrote:
>> Okay,  I have looked at the capdesk and darpabrowser videos and would
>> like to try them on my desktop.  I have MacOSX Leopard.
>> I haven't tried macifying them, since macifying doesn't seem to do
>> anything.
> Yes, the macify-swt.e script should only be used on SWT programs (for
> now).
>> I tried to run
>> ../rune capDesk.e-awt
> Is this an 'installed' E, or are you trying to run out of built
> source?

I believe I ran a script you sent me to install it.

>> When I click on a txt file, I get
>> Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0"
>> org.erights.e.develop.exception.NestedException: .
>> <
>> listPaneListener>.mouseClicked(java.awt.event.MouseEvent
>> (53,38 ...
> AWT's thread catcher won't walk the E stack trace, so this info is
> mostly useless. What needs to be done is to find the relevant E
> object (possibly "listPaneListener") which is invoked directly from
> AWT, and add something to report the exception E-style. For example,
> try {
>   ...existing code...
> } catch p {
>   throw <- (p)
> }
> will get it into the tracelog. Or, deferring the entire logic to a
> proper turn, but that can have semantic differences (not
> synchronously reacting to AWT's event)
> fn {
>   ...existing code...
> } <- ()
>> Perhaps I am missing reading some documentation?  Do you expect
>> normal users to be savvy enough to run this stuff?
> CapDesk should just work. The only thing that I recall finding
> unobvious when I first tried it is that you have to right-click to do
> some file operations.

Well the explorer works, but I and I brought up darpabrowser and it
basically showed a blank page or threw exceptions when I went to
google, but I've been unable to get any content up into the
darpabrowser or capedit.  I was able to "install" the darpabrowser, as
far as I could tell looking at capdesk.

I can look into the E-style exceptions, given I have some time.