[e-lang] CapPython and Python 3.0, and eyebrow-raising applications

James Graves ansible at xnet.com
Thu Sep 18 17:59:22 CDT 2008

zooko wrote:

> Obviously you should send a note to the python-3000 at python.org
> mailing list [1] letting them know about this, even if it is a
> foregone conclusion that they don't want to make any changes to the
> language before the Python 3.0 release.
>
> However, don't despair.  They could change their minds again.  Also,
> Python 3.0 is backwards-incompatible with Python 2, and so it will be
> at least a few years if not many years before people stop writing
> Python 2 code.  You have plenty of time to demonstrate the usefulness
> of CapPython in the context of Python-2.
>
> How to do that, exactly?  What is the application of CapPython which
> would raise the most eyebrows and cause the most Python hackers to
> say "Hey, that *is* cool!"?
>
> The web server that runs untrusted Python code is a fine start.  Any
> other ideas?

I'd like to see a browser plugin that runs untrusted code with
reasonable safety.

There are plenty of fine server side web application systems (Django,
Turbogears / Pylons, web.py, etc.).  It is a shame to have to drop into
Javascript to handle the client side interaction.  Yes, I know there are
Python libs to generate that stuff for you... though I haven't tried them.

Better yet, how about a competitor for Adobe Flash / Flex, MS
Silverlight and such that provides a nice Python dev environment which
integrates client and server side seamlessly.  Something that can do
good enough graphics for casual games (Tetris clones as opposed to 3-D
first person shooters).

And while you're at it, why not solve the financial crisis, energy
shortages and global warming.  :-)

James