[e-lang] wiki.erights.org and anonymous edits

Kevin Reid kpreid at mac.com
Mon Jan 12 07:37:59 CST 2009

On Jan 12, 2009, at 6:52, Toby Murray wrote:

> Surely we're losing far more than we're gaining by continuing to allow
> anonymous edits.

Here are two arguments for preserving anonymous editing. I'm not
saying they outweigh the greater spam blocking, but they should be
considered.

* No anonymous editing will discourage that rare unknown-profound-and-
lazy contributor who *is* sufficiently valuable to make up for their
comparative rarity.

* With anonymous editing, they just edit and we can block their
address and prohibit account creation from it. Without anonymous
editing, they create accounts (yes, there are spambots that do that)
and Wikipedia hides their IP address (from me, at least), so we can't
block anything but their throwaway account (which persists forever in
the wiki database).