[e-lang] Data-E for Caja mystery

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Wed Jul 22 11:39:44 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 3:13 AM, Kevin Reid<kpreid at mac.com> wrote:
> On Jul 21, 2009, at 12:08, Mark Miller wrote:
>
>> Hi Kevin,
>>
>> In thinking about Data-E for Caja, I don't see how to repair the lack
>> of cycles. Data-E for E relies on E promises becoming their resolution
>> in place. This isn't possible for Caja or JavaScript. I don't see what
>> to do instead that fits within the overall Data-E design. Thoughts?
>
> *CapTP* requires promises too. So I'm just going to put in the Ref
> architecture and work on making it reasonably unobtrusive.

But since promises can't become their resolution, I don't see how to
make it reasonably unobtrusive within the Data-E framework. For
example, say we have

var x = [1, null, 3];
x[1] = x;
cajita.freeze(x);

If we then serialize and unserialize x into newx, AFAICT we'd end up
with newx[1] being a resolved promise whose resolution is newx. Am I
missing something? Or do we just live with unserialization interposing
resolved promises at random places in the unserialization?