[e-lang] [CommonJS] Re: Concurrency standard module

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Sun Sep 27 11:45:08 EDT 2009

[+e-lang]

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 8:30 AM, Kris Zyp <kriszyp at gmail.com> wrote:

> I hope CommonJS doesn't attempt to specify an inter-machines protocol,
> there are plenty of good protocols out there, we don't want to reinvent
> that wheel, and we certainly wouldn't want to be limited to only
> communicating with other CommonJS machines (the machines could be
> running any language).

Agreed. Both Tyler's web_send protocol <
http://waterken.sourceforge.net/web_send/> and E's CapTP protocol <
http://code.google.com/p/caja-captp/> are good language neutral distributed
capability protocols with implementations in several languages supporting
communicating event-loops concurrency. Which one is better is a complex
question involving many tradeoffs. Their APIs in JavaScript are quite
similar. This community should look at both and understand the
considerations each is optimizing for.

I'm cc'ing e-lang because both protocols are often discussed in that forum.