[e-lang] Some minor bugs (switch and traceln)

Thomas Leonard tal at it-innovation.soton.ac.uk
Tue Feb 16 01:58:45 PST 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 18:27 -0500, Kevin Reid wrote:
> On Feb 15, 2010, at 5:26, Thomas Leonard wrote:
>
> > I've committed the fixes to a new "proposed" branch. If you have a Git
> > clone of the svn repository (made with the command I sent earlier),
> > you
> > should be able to review and commit like this:
> >
> > # Download Thomas's "proposed" branch...
> > git pull git://gitorious.org/~tal-itinnov/repo-roscidus/it-
> > innovation.git proposed
> >
> > # See what he changed, relative to the svn copy...
> > git log -p git-svn..
>
> I used this command:
> git svn clone svn://svn.synchrona.org/erights/e --stdlayout e-on-java-
> git
> followed by the above git pull, and there is no branch called "git-
> svn" (just "master" and the branch I created to pull your patches
> into). Is this just an accident of naming or does it indicate
> something missing?

Ah, it's probably called 'remotes/trunk' (I think it calls it 'git-svn'
in my copy because I only cloned one branch). "git branch -a" will list
all branches if you still don't see it.

> I'll review your changes as time permits.
>
> Does it create problems for you if they are committed in a different
> order than you did?

No. I'll just "git rebase -i remotes/git-svn" to remove whichever ones
you applied from my branch.

[...]
> > On a related note, I'm updating the Walnut guide on the wiki to answer
> > questions from co-workers. I'm writing the new text as if I know what
> > I'm talking about, and relying on you guys to fix it...
>
> Understood. The change <http://wiki.erights.org/w/index.php?title=Walnut%2FOrdinary_Programming%2FObjects_and_Functions&diff=3865&oldid=2922
>  > is currently in my todo bucket [it's hardly an ordered list] to
> review; the semantics of the 'interface' construct are rather dubious
> and I'm not sure they should even be in introductory material in detail.

I had trouble finding any information about it at all, but I wanted the
guide to include enough of the syntax that people can read existing
code, and it seems useful.

Coming from Java, I was quite surprised that you could implement an
interface without implementing the methods it defines, though.

Thanks,

--
Dr Thomas Leonard
IT Innovation Centre