[e-lang] IPv6 addresses

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Tue Jun 22 08:49:55 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 5:34 AM, Thomas Leonard <
tal at it-innovation.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> E doesn't work with IPv6 addresses. Here's a patch:
>

> http://gitorious.org/repo-roscidus/it-innovation/commit/5cda14106e59be94cda1aa013ee6422458025768
>
> This also adds "[]" to the list of acceptable URI characters.

Hi Thomas, I notice that this patch refers to RFC 2732 for the new IPv6
friendly URI syntax. Web searching, I find <
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986> claims it obsoletes RFC 2732. I have no
idea if there are any relevant differences. I've never looked at either of
these RFCs before. Any idea what this is about?

> By the way, I found this surprising:
>
> $ ls
> a|b
>
> $ rune
> ? <file:a|b>.getText()
> # problem: <FileNotFoundException: .../a:b (No such file or directory)>
>
> ? <file>["a|b"].getText()
> # problem: <FileNotFoundException: .../a:b (No such file or directory)>
>
> ? for name in <file:.>.list() { println(<file>[name].getText()) }
> # problem: <FileNotFoundException: .../a/a:b (No such file or directory)>
>
> Why does it do that?

IIRC, it was a misguided attempt on my part to be compatible with some
stupid IE6 file: URL behavior. Please feel free to fix. Thanks.